02 September 2011

... homesickness....

People always ask me if I want to go back to Ghana. I always answer "Yes, the only question is when"

The summer months of 2011 will forever be known as a life-changing summer. I found a people, a place that seemed so familiar yet so foreign, so understanding yet confusing... and in that place, with those people, I found myself.

Okay, so you might be thinking, "really Corrine? that seems a little dramatic, don't you think?" Well, it may be but you know what? I've finally accepted (after repeated accusations from my sister) that I am a tad bit dramatic.... so, yes, that may be dramatic but it is how I felt.

Now, what do I mean by "I found myself?" Well, finally, the pieces of the puzzle entitled "what will Corrine do after graduation" finally came together. I grew closer to my Savior and my Heavenly Father than I ever have in normal, real life. I found a genre of food that I LOVE! (and most importantly, learned how to cook it). I found that I could be good at compromising, leading, following, and all those other traits that are desirable in a person... with some more tweaking to do, of course.

Michelle, one of my dear sisters that traveled with me, said on our last day in Ghana: "You know, traveling is good for the soul". And I must concur. Traveling was good for my soul, and yet sometimes, I feel like in three short months, Ghana became home-- a place I long to travel back to.

No comments: