20 May 2012

the weekend

Important administrative detail: My sister kindly informed me that approximately 80% of my blog posts started with the word "so".... so, I made a concerted effort NOT to repeat that pattern.

Now for the actual blog post.  I have officially been in Uganda for a little less than 3 whole days.  It is crazy because it feels like it has been much, much longer.   This is definitely turning out to be a TOTALLY different experience than last summer one.  For starters, we have a place all to ourselves-- oh! I'll show you some pictures!

HERE IT IS! HOME SWEET HOME! (at least for a couple more weeks until the rest of the group arrives and we have to leave) 

Our lovely living room. I love the fake plants on the right. 

THE KITCHEN! I think it might be bigger than mine in Provo :)  









OH the bathroom. I don't think I'll ever get used to cold showers...... ever.  












"Peter and Matt's Office Space by Day! Corrine's Bedroom by Night!"
















My roommates bedroom... I haven't seen any more than this... I'm not sure I want to.  Boys. Gross. :)























Another big difference between Ghana and here are my roommates... Last year I had two wonderful sisters of mine-- Michelle and Deidre-- living with me; sharing stories of missions and singing sappy songs from musicals while doing the dishes.  I'm not so sure my roommates this summer would sing sappy songs with me although they did say they would listen to the new Justin Bieber single.  Anyways, get ready because now is the time you to meet ....... "THE ROOMMATES", or as they want to be called... "THE MEN"!



Say HELLO to Matthew.  Well, he goes by Matt but people here have a hard time grasping the shortened name so he's now going by Matthew.  He's from California, just south of San Francisco.  He is 24 years old. (boy, I hope I'm getting all this information right :)) Matt I think is a Political Science major. He is really cool.  He loves PhD comics, development and his girlfriend Elizabeth.  He served his mission in Argentina but is getting a little rusty on his Espanol.  He knows A LOT about development so I love talking to him about it! 

He's a pretty relaxed person and loves Mango Tang (you know, the orange drink Tang but mango flavored).  This picture is of him eating a grasshopper-- I think he liked it, and isn't his beard FABULOUS?!


This is Peter.  He is 25 years old and is from the City of the Salt Lake, Utah.
Peter really enjoys listening to Radio Talk from WNYC, opening packages from his girlfriend Kate, and cooking.  He served his mission in South Africa so I tell myself not to get jealous of how at ease he is with Africans-- he has 2+ years on me!  Peter just graduated from BYU so he's more of an employee on this trip than a student, that's why he's the BOSS.  Peter is also the Boss because he has a lot of development experience. 
Peter looks so fancy in this picture because we were walking home from church.  




HELLOOOO  BRADY... or as the Ugandans call him... BREADLY :)  They have just as hard of a time with his name as they do mine.  Brady is from Colorado though I think he's moved around a bit in his life.  He is 24 years old and an Economics major.  This is his first time traveling abroad.  He is really liking it I think.  He loves to run, watch Dennis the Menace, and write poetry (just kidding but he did write a fabulous poem this evening).  Brady does not have a girlfriend to love but don't worry, there are plenty of African women who are enjoying flirting with him.  We like to say that Brady may not speak Lugandan yet, but he does speak the language of love.  
This is a picture of Brady with his fried grasshopper he's about to eat.  


Well, now that you have seen the house, met the roommates, let's talk about the rest of the weekend.  Peter got a call on Friday saying there was a Young Single Adult activity at the church building on Saturday.  I was pretty excited to go-- I guess there are a lot of YSAs here in Ntinda.  We arrived a little early on Saturday so we could help make the food. It was fun! The girls were SO helpful in teaching us Lugandan words for all the foods, making us feel right at home, and keeping us laughing.  (They also make some kick-butt food! Don't worry... I got the recipe.)  After we made the food, it was time for the spiritual thought which ended up being a lesson on modesty, love and marriage.  It was nice to know that YSAs in Africa have the same concerns about gold-diggers, having too many choices, and low confidence as YSAs in America do.  :)  Seriously, you gotta watch out for those gold-diggers.  

After the thought it decided to down pour *cue "Bless the rain down in Africa song"*  We finally were able to leave the church building and head down to the Health Club where the food and the pool were waiting for us. HOLLA!  I did not bring a swimsuit so I did not go swimming but it sure was fun watching Brady, Matt, and Peter playing in the pool with the others; teaching them pool games, teaching some even how to swim.  I opted on sitting in the shade with some FABULOUS women who willing danced with me when the DJ played a good song..... They weren't as excited as I was when he played "Baby" by my favorite Justin but oh well.  :)

We saw all of our friends again at church today and I was uplifted and strengthened by the testimonies of the members in this branch.  They are all amazing.  We talked a lot about temples in Relief Society (the third hour block for those non-Mormons out there.  If you want to know more about our church meetings or temples, visit our church's website).  Anyways, the closest temple to here is in South Africa-- a two and a half day trip!  But still, despite that disadvantage, they all had such conviction to go to the temple and such strong testimonies that it truly was the House of the Lord.  I was grateful my conscience was clear because I went to the temple at least once a week;  how guilty I would feel if I lived 5 minutes away from the temple and  didn't go while these people recognize more than I the importance of this Holy House.

Anyhoo, I think this blog post is sufficiently long so I am going to end it here with just a simple wish that everyone has a wonderful week!  Our professors, Dan and Mike, are coming in on Wednesday.  I'm excited to see them and learn more about the research I get to help them with... oh! That reminds me! One last miracle-- because I am coming here early, I get to not only help out on my professors research, which gives me VALUABLE experience.... I also get all my food and travel compensated for the work I'm doing.  WHAT A BLESSING!!!

Okay for reals, until next time!
Corrine 

Getting ready to eat the grasshoppers! AH! I sadly could not get the video uploaded but  needless to say , my first attempt involved some screaming, some jumping up and down and spitting out the grasshopper.  I tried again and got it down.... barely :)  But hey, it really wasn't that bad tasting.





No comments: